Building a computer program to remedy a chess hassle known as the Queens Puzzle ought to win you a prize of million bucks, say scientists who have thrown open a task that they declare is impossible to crack.
Representational photo. Reuters.Representational photograph.
Devised in 1850, the Queens Puzzle at the beginning challenged a player to location eight queens on a preferred chessboard so that no two queens may want to attack each different. This means putting one queen in every row so that no queens are inside the identical column, and no queens are inside the same diagonal.
Although the hassle has been solved by people, once the chess board will increase to a large size no computer program can resolve it. Researchers from the University of St Andrews inside the UK accept as true with any program which can crack the famous “Queens Puzzle”, would be so powerful that it could remedy duties presently considered impossible, such as decrypting the toughest safety on the net.
They determined that when the chess board reached 1,000 by 1,000 squares, laptop programs could no longer deal with the good Scientists sized number of computer alternatives and sunk into a doubtlessly everlasting battle challenge
The conflict is corresponding to the fictional “top notch computer” Deep Thought in Douglas Adams popular sci-fi collection the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, which took seven and a half of million years to provide an answer to the Meaning of Everything, researchers stated.
“If you can write a pc program that might resolve the hassle in really fast, you may adapt it to resolve the various maximum vital problems that have an effect on us all each day,” stated Ian Gent, the professor at St Andrew’s.
“This consists of trivial challenges like running out the most important institution of your Facebook pals who do not recognize every different or essential one like cracking the codes that preserve all our online transactions safe,” Get introduced.
Do you face performance issues with your laptop or PC? Is your computer getting slower and slower to boot up and work on? If yes, read on for a few tips on how to make your computer faster.
1) There is no need to retain unused programs. So uninstall them.
So how do you do that? Open Control Panel’s “Program and Features” page and go through the list of installed software. Be careful to leave programs your computer’s hardware needs, the publisher listed as PC maker’s name or as Microsoft.
2) Getting rid of temporary files including internet history and cookies should give you a large amount of hard disk space, speeding up your PC. Open “My Computer”, select your hard drive, usually C:/, select the Windows folder and open the folder titled “Temp”. Select all the files that are older than the current date and press delete key. Then go to Recycle Bin on your desktop and empty it.
3) Even if you make sure to regularly clean out all your temporary files, if your hard disk becomes 85% full, it’s going to have a slow effect on your computer’s speed. If you film videos or use your PC for recording television, you will want a hard drive above 1TB in size.
4) Preventing unnecessary startups will speed up the time it takes for the laptop or PC to boot up. Many of the programs which are launched on startup continue to run and use up your computer’s memory. To prevent the programs from running, click “Start” and then type “Run” in the search box, click “enter” and then type “msconfig” and press enter. You should see the startup tab with the programs ticked, the ones which will load when your computer starts up. You may be surprised at what you find because they may not have been within your knowledge. Click “Disable All” and then if needed, select the ones you want to run at startup, such as antivirus software.
Another way to boost startup is to remove all unnecessary fonts Windows loads. Windows 7 loads more than 200 fonts on startup which can slow the rate of the boot up.
Go to Start Menu’s search box, type “fonts” and in the “fonts” folder, check off all the fonts you don’t want and click “Hide” button in the toolbar.
5) Getting more RAM, which stands for Random Access Memory, can speed up your computer. It is the temporary storage memory used by your computer and is in use when tasks are being executed by different programs. If you don’t have enough RAM and use a large number of programs, your computer will definitely run slow.
There is no theoretical upper limit on the amount of RAM that you can have with a 64-bit operating system but in practicality, 4 GB is more than enough for most people.
6) Windows includes a built-in disk de-cluttering tool called “Disk Cleanup” for speeding up performance issues. Open Disk Cleanup by clicking “Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Disk Cleanup.”
Summing up, these are some of the great ways to boost up the performance of your laptop or PC and implementing them, you will definitely get positive results.
Rosina S Khan has authored this article highlighting ways to
speed up your computer.
The reason those issues are so hard for pc programs is that there are such a lot of alternatives to keep in mind that it may take many years, researchers said. This is due to a procedure of “backtracking” an algorithm used in programming wherein every possible choice is taken into consideration after which “backed away” from until the correct answer is found, they stated.
“However, that is all theoretical, in practice, no person has ever come close to writing a program that could resolve the hassle quickly. So what our studies have proven is that for all realistic functions it can not be done,” said Peter Nightingale, a senior studies fellow at St Andrew’s.
The prize money of 1,000,000 USD, presented by means of Clay Mathematics Institute within the US is to be had to all of us who can remedy the puzzle.
The look at became published within the Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research.
READ MORE :